Sunday, November 7, 2010

Raccoon on the Back Porch

Tonight when I was leaving for work I looked out the door and there was a small raccoon rooting in the trash bag my son had tossed out on his back porch.  He had intended to put it in the trash can on the side of his house in the morning.  Looking at that raccoon brought back a memory of a  hunting experience my husband had many years ago when our sons were 10 and 11 years old.

I came home from work late one night and discovered he had taken them Coon Hunting with his hunting dog, and of course many coon hunters have a black 'n tan dog named 'Ol Blue. Well 'Ol Blue needed to find out what a real raccoon looks like, and I know he never made this mistake again. I really don't think it was his fault, he was a really good hunting dog.  The raccoon he was chasing ran past a Skunk.  Oh boy, that's what he did and when 'Ol Blue ran up on the Skunk, of course the Skunk did what Skunks do and sprayed the poor old dog.

Well, my husband called the hunt off, put 'Ol Blue in the back of the truck and went home.  Of course he got the stink all over his clothes.  When he got home, he put 'Ol Blue in his dog house, came inside took off his clothes and tossed them onto the heater duct.

I walked into our home and couldn't believe the odor.  Bug, that was my husband's nick name,  had only been home for a few minutes but he was already in bed.  I yelled, "Bug!!!! get up." I saw his clothes laying on the heater duct, Oh my gosh, I picked them up and threw them out the door and raised all kinds of hell.  I gave him a gallon bottle of vinegar and told him to pour it all over his clothes and to pour it on the dog too.  I know that the rule is tomatoes but vinegar will do in an emergency, and I thought this was an emergency.  The heater cut on about 10 minutes later.  I know if I hadn't gotten home when I did, we would have had to move because the heat would have carried that SMELL throughout our house. The vinegar did fine. 'Ol Blue recovered fine and of course my husband, he didn't go coon hunting so frequently. 

No comments:

Post a Comment