Thursday, November 11, 2010

Mother's Day Water Taxi

Many years ago when my mom was still alive, my Sister Sally made reservations for her, Susie and me to take Mom to dinner at this restaurant, on the water near Annapolis.   Our table was one of many out on the covered deck.  The food was out of sight delicious.  And of course all of us had a seafood platter, since we all love seafood, especially Maryland crab cakes and fried oysters. Mom loved it.




After the dinner we all walked down the dock area and saw the water taxi.  We hadn't planned on this part of the day but on the spur of the moment decided to go for a ride.  We boarded the water taxi and took seats near the stern.  The Captain gave us a quick safety speech on the use of the life jackets, and don't panic and some other safety points, then took his place at the helm.

When that motor cranked up, oh my gosh, I thought of the African Queen, that's what the engine sounded like, putt, putt, putt. And I pictured Humphrey Bogart and Katherine Hepburn on that lake in Africa avoiding the German ship in WWI.  Yep, I could hear him calling her Rosie and she calling him Mr. Alnut, with the putt, putt, putt of our water taxi engine.  The trip out in the Chesapeake Bay lasted almost an hour.  We really enjoyed giving our mother a treat such as this, and we had a wonderful day.

No comments:

Post a Comment