Friday, December 3, 2010

Trailride Chili

One of my early day trips was a 25 mile trail ride.  Unfortunately I wasn't able to ride.  I had an on the job injury.  I didn't think workman's compensation would believe I was hurt if I road on this 25 mile trail ride. I knew my body couldn't handle it either.


I decided to do the tailgate party.  My menu was a huge kettle of venison chili, saltine crackers, cheese, lots of hot coffee and pie.  Since this was the last trail ride of the year and the temperature was very cold I knew they would appreciate the hot chili.

I prepared the chili at home.  I put lots of green bell peppers, celery, onions, garlic, several cans of tomatoes and tomato sauce, 2 of those large cans of red kidney beans and about 4 pounds of ground venison.  Of course I never measure the spices.  I added lots of chili powder and just a little red pepper (just a LITTLE)!   I cooked it for several hours.  Those ingredients blended into one of my best chili's ever . I had Bug help me carry the kettle out to the truck.  He secured it so it wouldn't turn over and spill, then he gave me instructions on how to use the camp stove. He advised me to get someone to help me lift the kettle onto the burners since it was so heavy and full.

I asked a man at the trail ride to help me set up my tailgate.  He was waiting for his wife to come in on her horse and had plenty of time to help.  He was very helpful. I invited him and his wife to join us.  He declined when I told him the chili was made with venison.  I thanked him.  He hurried back to his van, got inside and turned on the motor to get warmed up.  It was so cold outside.



My friends, Joe and Dottie, a couple from my job rode their horses, Joe's cross bred, Dottie's a most beautiful Arabian and my friend Carol rode her fancy Thoroughbred.  They looked great  riding into the camp area of the trail ride.  My feelings were hurt because I couldn't ride.  Carol was first, then came Dottie, and Joe brought up the rear of our little group.  I helped them with their horses.

They were hovering around the kettle.  I ladled out a bowl of chili into a large paper bowl. I had bought a package of them at the grocery. Joe took the bowl and scooped up 2 big bites.  I told him, "Joe before you eat any more, I have to tell you I made the chili with ground venison."

He said, "Frances, I don't want to hear that, I don't eat venison." 

I assured him I used  real ground venison. I told him if he didn't like it he could eat the pie and coffee. No, he tasted it again and again and before long that bowl was gone.  He ate  4 bowls. Dottie and Carol also ate their fill. What I didn't expect was that several other people, people I didn't know invited themselves to our tailgate and ate too.  Not only did they eat, there wasn't any left to take back home. All those folks told me they were glad I wasn't riding so I could be the chuck wagon cook.  They wanted me to come back next year, and cook again.

No comments:

Post a Comment