Friday, March 11, 2011

AND THEN PHYSICAL THERAPY!

I started physical therapy 3 weeks after I fell under the fig tree. Sally and Susie took turns driving me there.  After each time we would go to lunch. There was a co-pay of $30.00 for each session.

I was warned the secessions could get quite intense. That was an understatement. I've always been sort of a tough person but those physical therapists beat me half to death.  They made me raise my arm over my head and do all sorts of strange exercises. I thought my shoulder hurt when I fell, was I wrong. Worst of all, I mean worst of all the doctor prescribed some pain medication called perkaset(I know I didn't spell it right). They worked except nobody,  nobody, told me to take a laxative or stool softeners when taking them. After 2 times of therapy and 4 pills I was constipated. The constipation was unbearable, that hurt worse than my shoulder. After I got that under control, I didn't take any more pain pills.

I managed therapy 4 more times. I have never endured so much pain. The saying no pain, no gain, that's a lot of bunk! My wrist was still in the short heavy cast. Finally the doctor removed it. I had trouble holding onto things. I was getting worse. The last time I went to therapy I drove myself, and I cried all the way home. I decided that was enough. I wasn't going to therapy any more.

I went back to the doctor for my checkup.  I told him I had to quit the therapy. He told me I wouldn't ever be right if I didn't go back.

I asked him about water therapy, like swimming, perhaps!

He said I could try it and see what would happen.  He was very skeptical about my decision.

Well, I went to "therapizin'" myself. Yep, I went to the indoor pool at our local high school. It was open to seniors, public pool parties, lap swimmers, and just fun stuff. It cost all of $4.00 a time. I wasn't sure I could do it, but after my first time, I knew that was my only hope of getting back my range of motion. I walked down into the five feet deep section so only my head was sticking out of the water.  Then I walked across the pool back and forth, moving my arms like I was swimming but I didn't swim, just the movement of swimming. The water being buoyant there was little stress on my old joints. My range of motion improved and I didn't use any pain pills.

I bought a 12 visit ticket for seniors (old people), cost $30.00. That sure beat a co-pay of $30.00 a day. I was into "therapizin'".

I went back to the doctor after going to the pool 3 times a week for 3 weeks. I had regained almost all my full range of motion. He was surprised and impressed. He said most people don't try, they just sit around and grow stiff. He told me to keep going to the pool.

I bet he was hot about losing my therapy co-pays. What a savings for me, plus I got well.

I stopped going by Christmas since the weather had turned very cold. My wet hair would freeze when I left the indoor pool and walked to my pickup truck, and that could create another problem, taking a chance of catching pneumonia. Winter set in and I was WELL!

No comments:

Post a Comment